International Dinner – (TOMORROW!) April 14th 6:00 PM to 8:30 PM – Trafalgar School Gym
There is still time to get tickets to the International Dinner. The International Dinner is a great chance to share a meal with other parents in our community. Get your tickets today! Tickets are on sale NOW daily from at 8:40am – 9:00am and 2:55pm – 3:10pm in the main foyer.
Basket raffles tickets: To view the 21 incredible Fantasy Baskets, please visit the school library where they will be on display beginning Monday April 11th 2016.
Tickets for the basket raffle will be $1.00 each or 6 for $5.00 or 30 for $20.00
Click here to see the full flyer with all information
No School Friday April 15th and Monday April 18th
School is not in session Friday April 15th and Monday April 18th for curriculum implementation and school planning days.
VSB Budget Cut Public Sessions – April 13th and 14th (This Evening and Tomorrow Evening)
The Vancouver School Board is facing a budget deficit of $25 million dollars – the worst deficit in over two decades. Proposed cuts in the face of this deficit will affect every family and the effects of the cuts will be felt for years to come.
The CUTS include:
- ALL elementary band and strings programs eliminated
- 33 FTE secondary teachers losing their positions
- Athletic coordinator facilitating inter-school sports events across district eliminated
- Fine Arts Coordinator for facilitating visual and performing arts programs eliminated
- All Essential Services Literacy Teachers gone
- All teacher mentor positions and supports for teachers gone (includes Brail support, anti-racism & homophobia support, learning technology mentors, gifted teacher mentor, early intervention literacy mentor, teacher librarian mentor, modern languages mentor)
- Vision and Hearing teacher positions reduced
- Complete elimination of the MACC and Gifted Programs (includes closure/elimination of Challenge Centre, Seminar program, Mentorship program, Gifted coordinator, part-time psychologist)
- ALL home intrusion teachers that serve home bound students eliminated
- 2 multicultural liaison workers for South Asian,and Korean and Vietnamese cultural groups eliminated
- 10 Career advisors gone from secondary schools to be replaced with a single district person.
- Elimination of 1 SACY youth engagement worker for at risk students in secondary schools
- Elimination of 12 non-enrolling positions providing ELL, aboriginal, special ed and library services
- Elimination of 12 student and support works for special needs students requiring intervention
- Administrative support reduction for mini schools impacting programming and class sizes
- Class size cap being removed for secondary schools
The public have been invited to give feedback to the VSB regarding this proposed budget on April 12 at 7pm at Van Tech Secondary School and April 13th and 14th at the VSB Offices on West Broadway.
PLEASE REGISTER ASAP – via email at firstname.lastname@example.org – for the April 13th and 14th public session as space will fill up fast.